Purpose of Undergraduate Counselors:
Light the World! undergraduate counselors are crucial leaders who are both recipients and leaders of Light the World! A main goal of the Institute is to help these young men and women as emerging Catholic leaders, and so the counselor training is as much for them as it is for their service to high school students. At the same time, counselors are essential in pursuing the Institute’s mission of forming high school students theologically, especially in their roles as leaders of small group discussions and through their individual encounters with the attendees.
Roles within Light the World!
- Facilitate Small Group Discussion
- Share a witness story of “God at Work in My Life” to a large group
- Lead prayer and take active roles in daily Liturgy
- Take part in games, skits, songs and other Institute activities
- Model faithful and joyful Christian life
Waking up early, going to bed late, and giving of yourself every hour in between. It was an exhausting week, but so fulfilling. For me that is the definition of love – being absolutely exhausted from giving of yourself to another. So for me, the most challenging part of being a counselor for Light the World! was also the most fruitful. – Tori, Counselor 2016 and CUA Theology Major
Who Can Apply?
- CUA Undergraduate Students
- Students across all majors who wish to bring their faith into their prospective career
- Undergrads who are able to commit 3 weeks of a summer to help form high school students theologically and spiritually
- Application: Interested undergraduate students will submit the necessary application materials which will go live here and on the School of Theology page of the Nest in October of each year. Applications close on Tuesday before Thanksgiving break at midnight. If they make it past the first round of applicants, they will need to complete an interview to be considered.
- Pastoral Skills Workshops: During the spring semester there will be a series of 5 workshops in the evenings that will serve as training in various pastoral skills from writing a witness talk to leading different forms of prayer. 2018 workshops are from 5-6PM and the dates are the following:
- Thursday, January 24
- Thursday, February 7
- Thursday, February 28
- Thursday, March 21 OR Thursday, March 28, OR Thursday, April 4
- Thursday, April 25
- Thursday, May 2 (Make-Up Session)
- Spring Retreat: Counselors will be expected to attend a day retreat on a weekend during the spring semester to ground their ministry in prayer and get to know the other counselors. For the summer 2018 counselors, that retreat will be held on Sunday, February 17, 2018.
- Recruitment: All counselors are asked to help with recruitment in two ways:
- March for Life: Advertise Light the World! on campus during the March for Life to visiting high school students.
- High School Visit: Schedule a time to visit your own high school during spring break or join the Program Coordinator on a visit to a local high school.
- Summer Counselor Training and Retreat: All Light the World! staff will move to campus on Wednesday, June 19, 2019 to participate in pre-Institute training and return from break week on Friday, July 5, 2019 for a mid-summer retreat..
- Light the World! Institute: Counselors must be on campus for both weeks of the Light the World! summer institute and be present to their high school participants for the whole time. Counselors move to campus on Wednesday, June 19 and are finished with closing retreat on Sunday, July 14, 2019.